Free School Meals
Parents claiming some benefits can claim free school meals for any of their children who are registered at a Staffordshire school and who would normally be at school at lunch time. School meals are a good way to ensure that your child eats well at lunchtime, and you can save yourself time and money.
Even if you don't want your children to have the meals, claiming them helps their school. The more eligible parents who claim meals, the more funding the school receives.
Click on this link for further information and an online application form Free School Meals
Who can claim?
You can claim free school meals for your children if you are in receipt of any of the following:
• Income Support
• Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
• Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
• Eligible for Child Tax Credit but not Working Tax Credit and the household income (as used by HMRC to assess tax credits) is not more that £16,190. Please note: anyone eligible for Working Tax Credit, or if you have a partner and they receive it, regardless of income, you will not qualify
• The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit (from 30th April 2005)
• Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
• In receipt of the 4 week run on of working tax credit (this is where someone becomes unemployed or reduces their hours and so is no longer entitled to working tax credit but will continue to receive it for a further 4 weeks and is entitled to free meals during that time)
• Universal credit
Please note that children being fostered are not normally eligible to claim free school meals as the fostering allowance paid is intended to cover the cost of the provision of meals for the child.
To prevent a delay in your claim, please don't apply before either:
• Your eligiblity to working tax credit has ended but you are still receiving child tax credit and have a household income (as used by HMRC to assess tax credits) of less than £16,190, or receive one of the qualifying benefits listed above or;
• Your claim for a qualifying benefit has been accepted and the start date for the benefit has passed or;
• You have received your benefit or tax award notice showing that you meet the eligibility criteria
Please note SCC are unable to backdate a claim for entitlement to free school meals to cover unpaid money or refund money paid prior to the start date of a successful application.